The Islamic calendar, unlike the commonly used Gregorian calendar is based on the moon. However it still consists of 12 months within 1 year and have either 354 or 355 days (depending on whether there was a leap year).
Events: Prior To Islam
- Prophet Adam (pbuh) was born and entered the Paradise on 10th of Muharram.
- Prophet Ayyub (pbuh) was cured from his illness.
- Prophet Suleman (pbuh) was ordained King.
- The oceans and heavens were created (Tanbihul-Gaafileen)
- Shaykhain Tirmizi & Haakim has narrated from Anas (R.A) that the following verse:
“Allah may forgive thee of thy sins that which is past and that which is to come . . .”
(Qur’an Al-Fath 48:2)
- Hadhrat Hussain (R.A.) was martyred in this month.
- Qiyaamah will take place on the 10th of Muharram.
- Khubaib Ibn Adey (R.A.) was martyred in Safar in the year 4 A.H. in Makkah.
- The Battle of Abwaa took place on 12th of Safar in the year 2 A.H.
Hadhrat Ali (R A ) married Prophet PBUHdaughter Hadhrat Fatima (R.A.) in the latter days of Safar 2 A.H.
- Zaid Ibn Dathina (RA) was martyred in this month in the year 4 A.H. in Makkah.
- The Holy Prophet PBUH migrated from Makkah to Madinah Munawwarah.
- Battle of Buwaat took place in the year 2 A.H.
- The Holy Prophet PBUHwas born in this month as mercy for all and departed from this world 63 years later.
- Battle of Saf’vaan took place in the year 2 A.H.
- Abu Bakr’s(R. A) daughter, Asma (R.A.) was born 6 years before Prophecy.
- Ruqayyah (R. A.) the daughter of the beloved Prophet PBUHwas born 7 years before Prophecy.
- Abu Bakr (RA.) was appointed Caliph.
- Hadrat Khwaja Nizamuddin- 18th Rabi-ul-Akhir: 725 Hijri. Hadrat Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jilanee- 11th Rabi-ul-akhir: 561 Hijri passed away at the age of 90
- Battle of Furu’ from Buhraan took place in 3 A.H Sariyyah-Battle in which the Holy
- Prophet PBUHdid not take part in, instead he consigned one of his Companions as the colonel.
- The consigned: Sariyyah Ali Ibn Abi Talib in the 9th Hijri. Sariyyah-Ibn Alqamah Mujaazziz Mudlejee.
- The Battle “Moota” took place in 8 A.H. A war against infidels in which th Holy Prophet PBUHdid not participate. Th battle is named after a famous city in Syria (Moota). Hadrat Zaid Ibn Haritha (R.A) was the first appointed General by the Holy Prophet PBUH
- In the same Battle Hadrat Khalid ibn Walid (fourth general of the Battle of Moota) was proclaimed by the Holy Prophet PBUHas being “one of the swords of Allah”.
- The Holy Prophet PBUHmarried his first beloved wife; Hadrat Khadijah (R.A) 15 years prior to Prophecy.
- Battle of Salaasil took place in 8 A.H.
- Abu Salama (R.A) died in the year 4 A.H.
- The Holy Prophet PBHUascended to Heaven on the 27th of Rajab on either Sunday or Monday (Mi’raaj).
- Hadhrat Bilal Ibn Haritha (R.A) brought a congregation of four hundred men named Banu Muzeena in the presence of the Holy Prophet PBHU. They all embraced Islam and became followers of the Holy Prophet PBHUin the year 5 A.H
- The battle of Tabook took place in the year 9 A.H. This was the last battle in which the Holy Prophet PBHU
- The second Oath of Aqabah took place in Rajab, 12 A.H.
- “Laila-tul Baraa’at (Night of forgiveness) the fifteenth night of Shaban.
- The birth of the Prophet’s PBHUgrandson Hadhrat Hussain (R.A.) took place, four years on the fifth of Shaban.
- “Qibla”, the direction to be adopted within salaah, was reverted back to the “Ka’aba” in Makkah (after being coverted to Baitul Muqaddas in Jerusalem for a short period of time). This took place two years after Hijraah on the 15th of Shaban.
Three years A.H.
- Hadhrat Hafsa (R.A) was joined in matrimony with the Prophet PBHU.
- Fasting in the blessed month of Ramadan was made compulsory in the year 2 A.H. on the 25th of Shaban.
- In this very month forty two years later Hadhrat Hafsa (R.A) took leave from this world.
- The daughter of the beloved Prophet PBHUUmme Kulthum (R.A.) took leave from this world, in the 9 A.H.
- The battle of Banu Mustaliq took place in Shaban.
- During the above mentioned battle, the “Aayah of Tayammum” (Purifying with sand before salaah) was revealed, in the year 5 A.H.
- Victory of Makkah took place on 18th of Ramadan in the year 8 A.H.
- Qur’an was revealed on the 27th night of Ramadan from the “Lauhe Mahfooz” (on 7th heaven) to 1st heaven.
- Hadhrat Hasan (R.A.), Holy Prophet PBHUgrandson was born on 15th of Ramadan, three years after Hijrah.
- The first Battle in the Islamic History, “BATTLE OF BADR” took place on the 12th of Ramadan in year 2 A.H.
- Hadhrat Zainab Bint Khuzaima’s (R.A.) marriage took place in the year 3 A.H. to the Holy Prophet PBUH.
- Hadhrat Sawdah (R.A) was married in year 10 A.H. to the Holy Prophet PBUH.
- The battle of Uhud also took place in Shawwaal, three years after Hijrah.
- Hadhrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah (R.A.) was married to Holy Prophet PBUH in Shawwal, 10 years after Prophethood which is 3 years before Hijrah.
- Imam Bukhari (R.A.) was born on a Friday of Shawwaal in the year 194 A.H.
- Hadhrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah (R.A) was born in Shawwal, 4 years after Prophethood and 9 years before Hijrah.
- Hadhrat Hussain (R.A) Holy Prophet’s PBUHgrandson (son of Hadhrat Fatima R.A.) was born in the month of Shawwaal 4 years after Hijrah.
- The Holy Prophet PBUHmarried Hadhrat Umme Salamah (R.A.) in Shawwal in the 4 year after Hijrah.
- The fight between Banu Qaynaqaa took place between the battle of Badr and Uhud, Shawwal 2 A.H. after Hijrah.
- Hadhrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah’s (R.A) mother passed away in year 5 A.H.
- The Holy Prophet’s PBUHuncle Abu Talib departed from this world in the middle of Shawwal in the year 5 A.H.
- In the year 6 A.H.-Truce of Hudaubiyah.
- The return to Makkah for Umrah by Holy Prophet PBUHand his Companions in the year 7 A.H.
In the year 6 A.H ‘Bay’at-e-Rizwaan’ (The oath of allegiance named Rizwaan).
- The battle of ‘khandaq (trench) or Ahzab’ took place in the year 5 A.H.
- The Prophet PBUH performed the farewell Hajj and gave the historic fare well sermon.
- Uthmaan (R.A.) was appointed the third Caliph
- Egypt was conquered by the army sent by Hadhart Umar (R.A.)
- Hadhrat Fatimah (R.A.) was married in this holy month to the fourth Caliph Hadhrat Ali (R.A.)