Perfecting your focus in Salah.
Many of us struggle with maintaining our focus during prayer and switching off, devoting our mind and heart entirely to our communication with our Lord. Khushoo is focus during salah and improving this will help gain a stronger connection to Allah (swt) and result in a more beneficial prayer.
Here we have prepared a few pieces of advice for how you can improve your focus.
Before Starting The Prayer
- Perform wudhu correctly – do not rush , ensure that you complete each step well, washing carefully and with focus and intention.
- Wash each part of your body with the belief and understanding that your actions are purifying you in readiness for prayer to Allah (swt).
- Find a quiet, clean place away from distractions to perform your prayer, ensuring you are facing Qibla.
- Wear appropriate clothing which is clean and is suitable for prayer.
- Be aware that how you present yourself during prayer is how you present yourself in front of Allah (swt).
During The Prayer
- Approach the prayer with sincerity, love for Allah (swt) and fear in your heart
- Pray seeking reward and forgiveness from Allah (swt)
- Learn the meaning of the words that we recite in prayer – this will undoubtedly help with your understanding of how we pray and improve your focus.
- Perform each movement slowly and calmly.
- Pray as if it is your last prayer.
Narrated Ibn Abbas (ra): The Prophet (pbuh) said:
“I have been ordered to prostrate on seven bones, i.e., on the forehead along with the tip of the nose, and the Prophet (pbuh) pointed towards his nose, both hands, both knees, and the toes of both feet” (Bukhari)
“Successful indeed are the believers, those who offer their salah with all solemnity and full submissiveness.” (Quran 23:1-2)